We are so thankful for my younger brother, Matt who spent his entire vacation time working on this project with Cam. If it weren't for him, I'm sure we would still be trying to finish! He even had to use an old fashion manual nailer, so we really did put him to work!
If you read my last post, you saw the flooring installed. Here you can see them starting to stain. This was started after they spent a few days with a floor sander we rented from Home Depot. All of the sanding created a ton of dust and took a good amount of time to clean up before the staining could happen.
The staining was a two step process. My brother wiped on the first coat and then Cam followed behind with a second coat. It went so, so much better then when we did the upstairs flooring. Remember that fiasco?
Once the stain dried overnight, they could start applying the Poly. We used an oil based product called Fabulon. It's a two person job, as one pours some of it and another needs to spread it out with the roller as you see below.
Once the Poly dried we hand sanded with a fine grit block to remove any bubbles or dust, then vacuumed and wiped the floors down before applying another coat. We did this process a total of 3 times and then we were done!!
Next up is the trim and baseboards, as well as a section in the front room that we are going to tile. With Iowa winters as harsh as they are, we decided to create an entry that's tiled to keep the snow, salt and dirt from being tracked onto the wood floors. I'll fill you in on that plan soon.
|Kitchen(with my new dishwasher!!)|
|Laundry Closet(still needs shelving/storage)|